Tuesday, August 18, 2020

CSX #6022 part II

Like many in hobby, I was crushed when Floquil went away years ago. At the time I had a good supply of most of the colors I used, however I knew the day would come when I would need to change to a different paint. No problem, Model Master enamels were a good substitute and I learned to use them to my satisfaction. That is until Rustoleum made the decision to cancel the Model Master line of paints. So with regulations getting more strict and the future of enamels becoming questionable, I decided that maybe it was a good time to finally learn how to spray acrylics. I had become familiar over the years working with Vallejo paints, mostly for weathering with washes, etc. but I had never really tried to airbrush them. With that said I figured that this project would be as good as any to "get my feet wet."

Vallejo makes several lines of model paint, the two that I'm most familiar with are the Model Color and the Model Air, the latter is ready to spray right out of the bottle (however it's still best to add a drop of thinner). The only color of light yellow that I was happy with for the patch was in the Model Color line. To spray it, I use their airbrush thinner, cut it 50/50 and add a drop of their airbrush flow improver. 



The addition of the Airbrush Flow Improver made all the difference in the world for me. Before that I had a tough time keeping the paint from drying out too quickly. By making light passes I was able to build up the color without it getting too thick. So my initial reaction to spraying acrylics is a positive one, especially for a color such a yellow. I also like the fact that Vallejo, with the way the bottle is designed, makes it super easy to mix up the paint right in the color cup. Here is a photo of the patched locomotive.


No comments:

Post a Comment