Friday, October 30, 2020

WM #63799

Here is my version of Western Maryland 100 ton 3 bay hopper #63799. Since I couldn't find a photo of this exact car number, I used a photo of a similar hopper from 1988 as a guide. To weather this, I used a combination of pan pastels and acrylic washes. The interior was spray painted with the Rustoleum Camoflage. I used Microscale trim film and decals to black out the old data and add new re-weigh data and lube plates. The new shop date information was made by using individual letters and numbers from a Gothic number and letter sheet, lots of fun as my eyes get older!








Saturday, October 24, 2020

SBD #305384

Seaboard System 70 ton hopper #305384. This model was built from a photo of the car in Cumberland, MD in 1986. While I have more than enough 70 ton hoppers for the layout, I though this one was cool. It was built from a Stewart 12 panel Southern hopper. Painted with acrylics, Microscale decals and weathered with Pan Pastels. 



Thursday, October 15, 2020

CSXT 341391

This was a fun project. After seeing a similar model built by my friend Anthony Hardy, I knew I wanted to build one for myself. This started as a Bowser pre-weathered model of an L&N 3 bay 100 ton hopper. While I'm not a fan of pre-weathered models, this one was cheap so I made it work. Since I was going to patch this for CSX, I started by weathering the model with Pan Pastels to a well worn look. Observing photos in the early CSX era, many of these orange hoppers were mostly black from coal dust, grime, etc. The inside was painted with Rust-oleum Camouflage, the couplers were touched up with Vallejo flat earth. To paint the trucks, I used Vallejo gray, the wheels were painted with a combination of gray and earth. Once dry, I dusted on dark brown Pan Pastels to blend everything.

To make the patch I masked off the panels to be painted black. In hindsight, this was not the best way to do this as it took quite a while to mask everything off. After speaking with Anthony, he told me he used Microscale Black Trim Film. Well Duh...I wished I had thought of that. 

Once the patch was painted, I sprayed on a gloss coat of Pledge Floor Gloss. While I've never tried this approach, I must say I'm pleased with the results. You can spray without thinning, although it can be thinned with distilled water and it's a lifetime supply from one bottle. Once dry, I added decals from a Microscale set, brushed on Solve set, then I sealed everything with a spray can of Tamiya Flat Clear.  





Saturday, October 3, 2020

70 Ton Hoppers

Here are a few of the latest hopper cars I've been working on. Since these are just layout models, I haven't added any extra details such as cut levers, air hoses or brake lines. The Seaboard hopper is a former woodchip car, but now it's been pressed into coal service. I've also been making lots of coal loads. The problem I have is that I only have access to western coal, so please don't judge me too much for using crushed coal from the powder river basin instead of eastern Kentucky. Maybe someone could send me some...