Monday, November 23, 2020
Sunday, November 22, 2020
As Bob Ross would say, everyone needs a friend. I bought two of these Bowser Western Maryland hoppers when they came out. I had thought about doing a full CSX patch job on this but decided not to. Since I'm trying to stick with a 1987-1988 time frame I want to have enough hoppers that still carry their original paint. Instead, after weathering the car, I added new capacity data and shop dates from Steel Valley Models decals. The lube plates are from Microscale.
Saturday, November 21, 2020
My big woodworking project for the day. I made this not because I knocked over the bottle of Solveset, I made this because I know I will knock over the bottle of Solveset. It's just a piece of 3/4 pine with a 1 5/8 hole cut in it. I have an adjustable hole saw, so it was just a matter of getting the radius set correctly and adjusting the belts on the drill press to go reeeeeeaaaallly slow. I also drilled a 1/8th hole for the brush that I use. I've made these before for friends, I'm not sure why it took so long to make one for myself. It took all of about 5 minutes.
Wednesday, November 11, 2020
Here are four more hoppers I've been working on. The HLMX #5038 was built from an undecorated Bowser 100 ton 3 bay hopper kit. CSX in the late 1980's-early 1990's was leasing just about any hopper they could find so I'll be building a few. This car has 44 individual decals using a Microscale Gothic number and letter sheet, plus a data sheet. CSX #815662, one of 1500 built between 1975-1976, was modeled using the same Bowser undecorated kit and I used the decals from a Microscale CSX hopper sheet. Unfortunately the Microscale sheet doesn't have all the necessary decals to finish the car correctly, so at some point I'll go back and add a shop date and the car classification (I just wanted the thing off my workbench). I am also excited with the news that Steel Valley Models is apparently going to produce hopper decals for CSX in the next couple of months. That gives me a reason to get several hoppers painted and ready.
The L&N and B&O hoppers were decorated kits but I've added a few extra decals such as new consolidated lube plates, ACI plates and data. I even got photo-bombed by a cow. This phone pic. was taken on a section of the upper level of the layout and as you can see the scenery and backdrop is minimal.