Saturday, February 27, 2021

B&O #161156

I've been enjoying making these small grab iron modifications to these stock Bowser painted hopper kits. I also realized that by cutting away the molded on grab irons, it exposes the air tank, which really needs a bracket. This was made with a small scrap of .10 styrene cut into a triangle. The H-48 class hopper actually had a split side panel, however I didn't want to attempt that to a pre-decorated car. It turns out that Vallejo black is a very close color match to the Bower kit. Some light weathering blends everything together.




Thursday, February 25, 2021

C&O #84670

New for the roster, C&O 100 ton 3 bay hopper, #84670. One of 2500 H-43 hoppers built at Raceland in 1968 and shopped in March, 1981. This version was built from an undecorated Bowser kit with Steel Valley Models decals.


Here's the real one






 

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

C&O #159858

C&O/Chessie 100 ton 3 bay hopper #159858,  built in 1977, part of a 2000 car order from Raceland Car Shops. This car was built from an undecorated Bowser kit with Steel Valley Models decals. I scratchbuilt the end grabs/ladder to match the prototype as before but this time used .20x.30 styrene strip instead. I think it looks much better than my previous attempt. 



Wednesday, February 17, 2021

SCL #163145

Here was a fun afternoon project I did while waiting for the paint to dry on a few other cars on the workbench. This car is a Stewart 14 panel hopper kit pre-decorated for Seaboard Coast Line. I weathered the car and I added lube plates. I also added the angle iron across the top of the car as per the prototype using Evergreen Styrene angle #292. 



Monday, February 15, 2021

CSX #809118

Here is a model of CSX #809118. This car was from the class of 1970, built at Raceland, along with 1,999 others. The original number series was C&O #68500-70499. Microscale decals were used on this Bowser 3 bay hopper. 

                            


C&O #160103

C&O #160103 started out as an undecorated Bowser 3 bay 100 ton hopper kit. Besides building the kit and adding cut levers, I cut off the existing grab irons on the left sides of the car and right sides of the ends and added strip styrene and .12 wire to more accurately model the prototype car. There is one thing that I did try that I'll never do again. Instead of painting the car flat black and repainting with a clear gloss, I tried painting with gloss black and adding decals. Either this technique just doesn't work or the decals I had weren't the best, I could not get the decal film to disappear, even after 9-10 applications of Solve-set. Oh well, lesson learned.

                                           Here is a William Rogerson photo of the real thing: 


Here is my version: